The right way to keep away from a disastrous WEIGHT CUT
By Coach Dustin Myers, CSCS
Are your wrestlers reducing weight the WRONG means?
Ah, sure…the proverbial elephant within the room – weight reducing. Personally I’m an enormous proponent of wrestlers NOT reducing weight, significantly at the highschool or youth stage, however till we have now a significant tradition change it’ll stay part of the game. Even when an athlete will not be reducing a considerable amount of weight the truth of being caught between two weights (say, an athlete that walks round at 190lbs) often leaves us with one possibility and that’s taking off some water weight earlier than weigh ins. Nonetheless, like most issues, there are proper methods and much more incorrect methods to go about it, with many athletes taking off weight in methods that may be detrimental to efficiency and their well being.
What to keep away from:
1. Do NOT restrict your water consumption early within the week.The simplest mistake to make is to restrict water as you might be bringing your weight down. A chronically dehydrated physique turns into a sponge, retaining any water that is available in and making it exhausting to truly lose extra water when it comes time to make weight.
Answer: keep hydrated ingesting 1 gallon of water or extra per day all week
2. Do NOT skip meals. Even when bringing your weight down through the week your physique nonetheless wants gasoline for restoration. Ravenous your self will trigger your metabolism to grind to a halt and your physique will go right into a catabolic state, consuming away on the muscle you labored so exhausting to achieve.
Answer: proceed to eat small nutrient dense meals 3-4 instances per day the whole week. Restrict carbohydrates to fruits, veggies, and low glycemic complicated carbs like quinoa and brown rice – ideally after coaching. Excessive fats meals equivalent to eggs, avocado, and nuts will present power and fulfill starvation even in small quantities.
3. Do NOT work exhausting to take off the load. When it comes time to make weight, try to be roughly the identical variety of kilos over that you may safely lose in a single follow. When you usually sweat off 4lbs every follow then your objective must be to stroll round not more than 4lbs over by the tip of the week – however the hot button is to lose that final 4lbs by expending the LEAST quantity of power potential.
Answer: use low depth actions equivalent to biking and stance movement to sweat. I might suggest working solely firstly to get your sweat going then proceed with decrease depth actions.
4. Do NOT gorge after weigh ins. As tempting as it may be, don’t pig out after making weight.
Answer: Rehydrate first – I like to recommend 32oz of Water with Max Effort Muscle Amino Restoration instantly – then soak up some easy carbs equivalent to a banana. 20minutes or so later deal with your self to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and proceed to drink water.
5. Do NOT get behind the 8-ball. It is pure to have a giant cheat meal(s) after competing and keep in mind that your physique goes to be a sponge after being dehydrated. Do not let that saturday night time bloat carry over into monday or tuesday.
Answer: the day after competing get sweat with some lengthy, gradual, low depth lively restoration. You won’t really feel like driving the bike for an hour the morning after your match title, however it’ll assist work out the soreness and do away with the bloat out of your victory feast – and make the subsequent weight reduce that a lot simpler.
These are only a few suggestions to verify your weight reduce will not be a catastrophe. I might a lot moderately see wrestlers eat wholesome, elevate heavy all season, and revel in wrestling!
Need to be taught extra? Be part of my FREE weekly Wrestling Power publication with the entire newest coaching suggestions and strategies to take your efficiency to the subsequent stage! I may also provide you with a coaching PDF with 8 of my hardest FINISHERS without spending a dime only for signing up! Be part of NOW
Try my e-books and be taught the identical exercises I exploit with my elite wrestlers: Coach Myers Power & Conditioning Packages