Anybody keep in mind build-a-bear? Fairly certain that and Restricted Too principally sum up being a baby of the 90s. You recognize what sums up my maturity? Bowls. All.The.Bowls. Aka the lazy woman’s dinner and actually, the one true solution to eat dinner. I’m certain 20 years from now I’ll look again on my 20s and 30s and snicker at what number of recipes I made in bowls, however hey, it really works!
Now I’ve to be sincere with you, there’s no precise science to bowl recipes. That’s one of the best a part of them, there’s room to experiment. I’m not gonna lie, occasionally I’ve created some actually random bowl recipes (you recognize once you’re so low on meals you simply discover something in your fridge and see what occurs?!) however more often than not a fast mixture of protein, carbs and veggies topped with a superb dressing and a few crunch finally ends up being scrumptious.
So for these of you who’re feeling somewhat misplaced within the kitchen today, I hope this bowl recipes publish will assist encourage you to get somewhat create. As a reminder, that is only a information. There’s SO a lot room for experimentation. However for those who’re simply getting began this could provide you with some good concepts…
However What IS a Bowl Recipe?!
Okay, nice query. Truthfully, there’s no actual science to it however in the long run it’s principally a mix of some completely different meals, topped with a scrumptious sauce or dressing and eaten (not surprisingly) from a bowl. If I had been to interrupt it down for you it’s often made up of some completely different elements:
- Grains – although not all the time, bowl recipes often comprise a base of some sort of grain
- Protein – this may be animal or plant-based protein
- Veggies – typically uncooked and typically roasted, sky’s the restrict right here!
- Sauce/Dressing – THIS is the place the magic occurs. It isn’t a bowl recipe with no scrumptious sauce.
- Toppings – all the time non-compulsory however nice add-on!
Tips on how to Construct-A-Bowl
So now that we all know the breakdown, let’s chat about some choices for every.
- rice – my go-to! It’s gluten-free and an incredible, impartial base for a bowl. White or brown rice works.
- quinoa – a gluten-free possibility that’s filled with protein. Quinoa is definitely a whole protein which suggests it has all important amino acids.
- couscous – for those who’re searching for enjoyable texture, I really like utilizing couscous! Couscous is technically a pasta however works splendidly in bowl meals.
- farro – one other one among my favorites! Farro has a really gentle, nutty taste and a barely chewy texture that I really like for bowls.
- orzo – one other “grain” that’s technically pasta. Orzo appears to be like like rice however is made from flour.
- bulgur wheat – bulgur wheat is cracked whole-grain kernels of wheat. It’s filled with vitamins and an incredible possibility for bowls!
- freekeh – freekeh is historically present in Levantine and North African cuisines and could be the right base for a bowl meal. It’s barely chewy and has a gentle nutty and smoky taste.
- barley – barley can be barely chewy with a nutty taste. If you happen to’re searching for one thing extra attention-grabbing than rice or quinoa, you’ve bought choices!
- legumes (additionally fall into protein class) – skip grains and have legumes as your base!
- hen – that is my favourite solution to prepare dinner hen on the stovetop!
- tofu – marinate tofu within the sauce of your alternative or just sauté it earlier than including to your bowl.
- fish/shellfish – I really like including salmon to my bowl however any fish or shellfish works!
- eggs – can’t go unsuitable with an added egg! I prefer to prepare dinner mine to over-easy or over-medium so the yolk mixes in with the remainder of the components a bit.
- sausage – use floor sausage or chop up a sausage (or brat!) for a taste burst.
- steak – go huge and have steak as your protein alternative! Any minimize will work nice.
- pork (bacon bits) – as a full bacon lover I can attest to how scrumptious the addition of bacon is!
- legumes + beans – an incredible vegan possibility! Add any assortment of legumes and/or beans to your bowl.
- dairy/cheese – both skip the meat and simply add cheese or add cheese or one other dairy product for added protein!
Any veggie will work right here! Some concepts how one can prepare dinner them:
- uncooked – chop your veggies into bite-sized items and luxuriate in!
- roasted – add somewhat oil, salt and pepper and roast for about 20 minutes at 425ºF.
- steamed – use a steamer basket to steam your veggies in a pot of boiling water! Veggies will take 3-10 minutes relying on the kind of vegetable you utilize.
- grilled – I really like the added taste grilling greens provides! I prefer to coat hearty greens with oil, salt and pepper after which grill instantly on the grill grate. Smaller greens like asparagus solely take about 3 minutes per aspect whereas bigger greens like candy potatoes will take longer.
Crucial half! There are infinite bowl sauces and dressings on the market however I wished to share just a few bases you’ll be able to work with. For extra inspiration try this publish with full bowl recipe sauces and dressings.
- peanut butter
Observe: typically it’s a mix of dressings i.e. burrito bowls which have each guac and salsa
Sky’s the restrict right here and all of it actually will depend on the theme you’re going for, however listed below are some solutions:
- herbs – recent herbs add a tremendous recent taste to bowls!
- spices – actually any spice works however I like including za’atar, all the things bagel, chili flakes and so on.
- crunch – chips, pita crumbles, crispy chickpeas, nuts, seeds are all nice concepts!
- sauerkraut or kimchi – add some probiotics and a great deal of taste with sauerkraut or kimchi!
- avocado or hummus – for those who’re not utilizing these as a sauce, they’re additionally nice “upgrades”!
- dried fruit – add somewhat sweetness with dried fruit. Attempt to search for dried fruit with none sugar added.
A FULL BOWL BREAKDOWN
In fact, everybody’s urge for food and consumption is completely different however I wished to share a tough breakdown of what a bowl recipe appears to be like like as a full meal:
- 1 cup cooked grains
- 1 cup protein
- 2 cups of veggies
- 1/4-1/2 cup of dressing relying on desire
- 1/4 -1/2 cup toppings
Mix all in a bowl and blend! That’s it – see why I really like bowls a lot?!
Hopefully the above breakdown may also help encourage some wholesome bowl recipes, however simply in case you’re searching for extra of a information, listed below are just a few to get you began:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Be a part of 20,000+ members of the THM Neighborhood to get entry to unique recipes, wholesome life-style ideas and behind-the-scenes information from our crew!
Bowl Recipe Inspiration
The Final Buddha Bowl with Peanut Dressing
There are tens of millions of recipes for Buddha Bowls on the market however I can guarantee you this one is the final word! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the final word buddha bowl will turn into your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!
Quinoa Veggie Bowls with Miso Dressing
These customizable Quinoa Veggie Bowls with Miso Sesame Dressing will turn into a weeknight staple. With a quinoa and veggie base topped with a zesty and flavor-packed sunflower-based dressing this simple dinner or lunch recipe is a wholesome vegan possibility for the entire household.
Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowls
No want for takeout with this Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowl Recipe! Made identical to your favourite restaurant’s burrito bowl, this recipe is filling, wholesome and may be made easy with pre-mixed components or do-it-yourself choices.
Baked Falafel Bowls
You’ll crave these plant-based Baked Falafel Bowls! Made with quinoa, roasted greens, greens and naturally, baked falafel this vegan and gluten-free recipe makes a whole meal in a single.
Rooster Shawarma Bowls
Get one of the best of the Center East with this deconstructed hen shawarma bowl. Made with oven-roasted hen thighs, crispy pita chips and a scrumptious Israeli chickpea salad this wholesome dinner recipe will rapidly turn into a household favourite.